Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I Cor. 7:1-9

I got a little upset today. Upset because of the prevalent Christian idea (in my circle) that the only thing I should be looking for (and the only thing necessary for) a successful relationship is that the two people have a relationship with Christ and be growing. To a certain extent, that's true. I agree with Paul, "But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion." But this is not something that (at this time) I struggle with. I'm happy. I'm single. And I plan on remaining so until Jesus (or the right guy) comes. I love my life, I love the gift of singleness that God has given me.

What is so incredibly hard to believe about that?

Pffft. I hate it when I get grumpy and rant...

1 comment:

blind irish pirate said...

I was most astounded when this scripture was used in a "sermon" during someone's wedding. And the couple was only 22. Really? Maybe I sound like a hippo-in-a-crate saying it, but... REALLY? You're 22 and you are settling because you can't control your passions? What?

I agree, whole heartedly. If that were the Key to a Successful Relationship, then I probably should have just married one of the other guys before the husband, because we loved Jesus, and that was all that we [apparently] need for a successful relationship.

I mean, if it's the love of Jesus you want, lady, I'd be happy to get down on one knee for you. (Is that in your He's Not That Into You movie? ... anywaaaaay (note the time stamp on this comment, please - haha.)