Saturday, January 19, 2008

So there, Duke Energy!

It is so incredibly cold in my apartment that I have resorted to drastic measures. I'm wearing one of those back-woodsman thermal shirts. My roomie from sophomore year introduced me to them- thank you, Molls! A hat garnered from the boyfriend for the simple reason that I hate hats and he likes them (and thinks I should wear them), and I'm currently nursing a mug of hot water. Not because I'm going to drink the hot water, but because nothing else will keep my hands warm. (I tried gloves, but when you're cleaning the kitchen floor, it's not advisable to wear wool...)

Why, you may ask, has a working woman resorted to such oddities (in addition to heating up her bed each night with a hair dryer)? Well, first off, I've only worked like 3 days so far, so my bank account is still at "college student" meager and doesn't really want a huge electric bill, and secondly Duke Electric charged me $200 to come out, look at my meter, and tell me "Yes, your lights are working." I already knew they were. So was the airconditioning. But they called it a "set-up fee." They lied. There was nothing to set up. And I (young innocent that I was) became very jaded.

Ever since that fateful day I have looked for ways to get my $200 back. Layering socks and drinking hot beverages all day every day. Watching TV under piles of blankets. Opening the oven after I'm done baking the casserole to let surplus heat roll out after I turn it off. (Same strategy with the dryer.) I'm freezing, but gosh darn it, my electric bill has never been cheaper.

And who wants to spend money on heat? I'd rather buy those stunning, red peep-toed shoes. Granted, they don't really help the cold feet problem...

Maybe if I wore them with wool socks...

4 comments:

blind irish pirate said...

Yeah, thermal underwear keeps on giving!! :)

Dana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dana said...

Your hilarious. I keep it cold in the apartment and would have it even colder if I didn't fear that Connor would actually be frozen when I went to check on him in the morning.

Oh I got a fabulous coat today. On clearance for 80% off! Gotta love it!

M. Kate said...

too funny dear courtney...

"It's just your way of stickin' to the man." :)