Saturday, May 16, 2009

"...and the Lord takes away."

This morning God showed His infinite, unattainable wisdom and love once again. And, once again, I cannot fathom His purpose, His plan, while I'm struggling to find his love.

'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take him at his word,
Just to rest upon His promise,
Just to know- thus sayeth the Lord
Jesus, Jesus, How I trust thee,
How I've proved thee o'r and o'r,
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus,
Oh for grace to trust thee more.



I don't understand why a God who gave His only Son, would take life from those persons He came to save.

Last night, a fire took the lives of Leah, Harrison, and Sophie, leaving only their father and husband alive.

Harrison was a 2nd grader in my choir and Sunday school class, and although it's not right to have favorites- I succumbed and he was one of mine. I don't understand. I cannot fathom this. My little Harrison, who was growing up into such a godly little man... gone. I don't understand... I will miss him. I DO miss him. His perky smile, his ready answer, his preppy little comb-over and glowing face. I will never see him again... on this earth. But although I'll never see Harrison grow to adulthood, I will see him again someday. And although it hurts, and I don't understand, and I just want him and his mother and sister back, I just keep telling myself, "God is bigger. He is in control." And I know that some day...

He will swallow up death forever.
The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears
from all faces...
(Isaiah 25:8)


But it's so hard right now...

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Oh Courtney I understand your pain. Out of all the Sunday School kids I have had over the years Harrison has always been one of my favorites. Sophie was in my class this year for Sunday School. It is so hard to fathom what the Lord is doing but I guarantee it is big.

David said...

Sophie was in my Wednesday Night Clubs. I would tell her random facts (like the fact that her name means "wisdom"), and she would look at me and say (like a teenager), "You don't know what you're talking about."

The Baker Family said...

So very sad. They were such a sweet family.