Wednesday, February 11, 2009

That's when I knew why

When a grumpy man yelled in my face as I was adjusting his oxygen tube.

When a little girl's eyes lit up when I brought out the stickers.

When an old lady swore through the entire interview and asked me, "Do I look like a %^&* idiot to you?"

When a little boy fell in love with my fictional character, "Captain Radish."

When a hospital patient just "wanted to drink orange juice again."

That's when I knew why.

Why I am here. Why I am doing this. Why I will be a speech therapist as long as I possibly can be. I love this. It's my passion.

And there will be days when there are horrible tests, 3 hours of sleep, endless e-mails, and an impossibly long to-do list, but I hope I remember... I hope I remember the times when I knew why.

No comments: