Friday, February 27, 2009

Needed on February 27th, 2009

I have several rather "scary" meetings today. Meetings in which it is quite possible that I will be told of my incompetence, my inability, and be told where my priorities and focus should be. Criticism is difficult to hear. And undue emphasis is often placed on success in the wrong areas. Being a godly daughter, sister, friend is second to being a workaholic. Success in my field is more important than success in my personal life. Keeping the correct mental attitude of praising God, while at the same time ministering to those around me, compounds the difficulty of the experience. Today, as I was climbing the stairs to get ready, literally wringing my hands about what today held, a phrase flashed through my mind:

"In Your presence is fullness of joy..."

I stopped. I have no idea where that came from, or why I thought of it, but I turned, ran down the stairs, and pulled up my on-line Bible and commentary. This is what I found:

Psalm 16:11

You will make known to me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.

The commentary (abridged) stated:

Most take the world for their chief good, and place their happiness in the enjoyments of it; but how poor soever my condition is in this world, let me have the love and favour of God, and be accepted of him; let me have a title by promise to life and happiness in the future state; and I have enough...

Gracious persons, though they still covet more of God, never covet more than God; but, being satisfied of his loving-kindness, are abundantly satisfied with it: they envy not any their carnal mirth and delights. But so ignorant and foolish are we, that if left to ourselves, we shall forsake our own mercies for lying vanities.

And if our eyes are ever toward God, our hearts and tongues may ever rejoice in him...

No comments: