Monday, February 9, 2009

The great travesty and my salvation

Today we ran out of coffee.

Actually, we ran out of coffee on Friday, but I don't drink it on Saturday, and I forgot about it on Sunday, and today, Monday was the first day that this coffee absence truly affected me.

To say I was distraught would be putting it mildly. Glumly, I stared at the bottom of the empty, red Folgers container. (Yes, I buy Folgers. The cheapest I can find. I'm a college student- I don't care about the brand of my coffee, provided it has enough acid and caffeine to eat my insides and keep me awake till ungodly hours.) A gentle, gray depression settled over me.

No coffee.

The phrase is enough to strike fear and gloominess into even the most courageous soul.

I shook the container. A few black grounds fell from one side to another. There may have been enough in there for a teaspoon of well-brewed coffee. (I like my coffee so strong that it eats the spoon I stir it with.) I turned, defeated, crestfallen from my portal of daily happiness, and began to climb the stairs with something less than my usualy morning zest. (That's actually not sarcasm, I really am a morning person- once I have my coffee.)

Halfway up the flight of stairs, I had an epiphany. (Either really good, or really bad things happen when I have an epiphany.) I flew the rest of the way up. Threw on my preppy clothes (grad program makes me dress this way! I promise! Okay... You're right. I actually love wearing heals every day.)

I grabbed a little red box off my desk, and left my condo as quickly as possible.

Speeding down 52 I had one thought: "Must... reach... Speedway..."

Yes, Speedway. The gas station. My father gave me a gift certificate which (no doubt) he intended for gas, oil, air for my tires, etc. But I had a much greater use for it.

Speedway has amazing coffee. If you don't believe me- you need to try it. I poured myself a giant, 24 oz. cup, paused, just before it was completely full. Cappucinos cost the same as coffee. And Speedway has a brand new Dark Chocolate York Patty cappucino. Coffee + cappucino. Incredible!

So, this cup of coffee is amazing. My father is amazing. Dark chocolate peppermint is amazing.

I am once again a morning person!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

that is an emergency of epic proportions! the coffee does sound amazing, too!