Monday, August 17, 2009

The Haven of Renewed Purpose

**The Manhattan Chronicles**

After my interview and casual browsing around town which followed my interview- I spent the majority of my afternoon here



in the New York Public Library.

I think I could move to New York just for this building. It makes me happy...

I ate dinner at a little cafe/diner with bright orange tiles on its walls and a grumpy man behind its counter. I'm staying with one of my brother's college friends these two nights, which is wonderful, but due to an error with my phone, we spent two hours not communicating.

And I people watched. Observations from people watching:

Wedges and gladiator sandals are incredibly popular footwear.

When you put this many people together, you see more attractive men per minute than you do anywhere else.

There are quite a few New Yorkers who have none of their city's acclaimed fashion sense.

Dresses are in- in- IN! So cute.

No one looks very happy...

I was feeling rather demoralized after a hot, sticky afternoon- lonely in the big city and wondering if I was a crazy fool to leave the comfort (and cheapness) of the Midwest to forge my own little path in the big C of NY. But then I arrived here:



a tiny sanctuary, and I remembered why I wanted to move to Manhattan. Yes, it's big and bustling, and scary, and I'm horrible at trying new things all alone, but there are so many people here who are so sad, and hurting so much- I saw some of them at the rehab facility today, and even more as I mused at a coffee house window. And although all the glitz and glamour can be at once overwhelming and enticing- it's not everything there is. There are little cubbies of peace, like this one, into which I can retreat. Little pockets of comfort which can be home, and into which I can welcome other tired, demoralized people.

I like the city again- I think I shall venture out to procure some flip-flops, mace, and a "thank you" for my hostesses...

1 comment:

Kristi said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Manhatten!!!
Glad to hear the interview went well!