Friday, August 14, 2009

Adventure for one, please

Crack-o-dawn early on Monday morning, I shall be flying to my delightful "dream city." The reason for this expensive, incredibly terrifying journey is the interview of my dreams. Allow me to explain...

In my graduate speech/language pathology program at Purdue University, that delightful institution puts us through the paces for exactly four and a half semesters. Midway through that fifth semester, we are cast into the world to sink or swim. I am completing eight weeks of an "externship" at a school (probably in Zionsville) and another 8-12 weeks at a hospital or medical setting.

Our educational placement is determined for us. I have no control over where I am placed, but the medical placement is another story. We are required to find our own medical placements. Most of my colleagues have already done so. But most of my colleagues aren't gluttons for punishment, as I appear to be.

The creme de la creme of medical placements is located in Manhattan. Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine is one of the nation's most pretigious rehabilitation facilities. My application for an interview was more work than my application for graduate school.

But I got an interview.

Monday, at one p.m.

My parents, perfect paragons of generosity, have bought me a suit, and a plane ticket (I provided my own support-top pantyhose and stunning accessories), and sent me into the wilds of Manhattan to see if the prior five years of effort have all been for naught. I have no back-up plan.

I AM SCARED OUT OF MY MIND.

I'm not used to forging my own trail, going out on my own. I always order the same thing at restaurants. I call my Bunny five times to make sure the shade of red I chose for a nail polish is okay. I text my mom seven times when picking out a necklace to wear with my new top. Every vacation I take- I take with family members. You know how girls always go in groups to the restroom? I invented that. I need constant affirmation, companionship, and validation. I can do new things- when surrounded by a comfortable bubble, but I am so incredibly afraid of doing new things by myself. I am not a good trail-blazer.

And on Monday, I have to do that.

Prayers appreciated.

Okay. **deep breath** Here it goes.

No comments: