Thursday, September 25, 2008

"Those people..."

Per the advice of a very wise friend and mentor, I have been reading the book of Jeremiah. The reason for such a perusal should be evident- I'm a people-pleaser. And no where else in the Bible (at least in such condensed, brutal form) does one find more reason to despise the very humanity that one will (paradoxically) so promptly worship. I am the greatest of sinners in this regard. While mocking the depraved man, I will, the very next moment be held sway by his judgment, subject to the very opinion I so openly ridicule.

But while reading the following:

"Only acknowledge your guilt- you have rebelled against the Lord your God, you have scattered your favors to foreign gods, under every spreading tree, and have not obeyed me," declares the Lord.

I was struck by a horrible, gracious epiphany.

While labeling "others" as errant humanity, I had neglected to place myself in that same category. I viewed myself as outside the problem- let's look at other people. Let's look at God. What does that tell me? In my thinking I was above and outside of the categories of analysis that I had created.

But I am that humanity.

I am that depravity.

I am the faithless Israel.

And it does no good to lump others into the "shouldn't fear or please due to inherent wickedness" without also including myself. For, until I have a grasp, or at the very least, a taste, of my own depravity, I will see no need to turn to God to fulfill my desire for approbation and pleasure. Until I realize that I, in and of myself, am, along with the rest of humanity, completely depraved and faithless, I will see no need of the purity, faithfulness, and goodness of God. I will, though perhaps rid of the tyrant of pleasing others, unconsciously, seek to find my reward in the pleasing of myself, rather than in the pleasure of God.

Which was when I read:

"Return, faithless people," declares the Lord, "For I am your husband. I will choose you- one from a town and two from a clan- and bring you to Zion... I myself said, 'How gladly would I treat you like sons and give you a desirable land, the most beautiful inheritance of any nation.'"

How gracious of a God who is so often forgotten- that he would choose, and subsequently endow the chosen with blessings. Is there any other worth pleasing?


(Text: Jeremiah 3)

No comments: