Friday, June 6, 2008

Sweat bands, Chris Tomlin, and Treadmill Whiplash

I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, athletic. I can't even claim general interest in athletics, other than that of an animated spectator. I've never desired to play softball, or be able to slam dunk a basket. I am embarrassingly bad on a tennis court, and incapable of getting a soccer ball in a goal. These activities hold no appeal to me.

But I do want to be able to wear shorts this summer without gut-wrenching embarrassment, so about a week ago I started running.

I used to run quite regularly two years ago, but since then other things (life, mainly) have kept me from running. I never enjoyed it. I barely missed it. (Except when I was in the midst of that I-just-ate-my-weight-in-pizza flabby feeling...)

Now, exercise enthusiasts, don't mock me, but I did an amazing thing this week. I ran every day. Yes. I did. Granted, each day was only about 2 miles, but I still am quite impressed with me. In fact, I might have been getting a little cocky. Which is why God allowed Thursday to happen...

I woke up at 5, donned my athletic gear, and drove to the Community Center to make use of the fitness facilities. I calculated that given everything else I needed to do before work, I only had about 30 minutes on the treadmill and 30 on weight machines. I got crackin'.

Half-way through a great Chris Tomlin jam, I get an oozy, drippy feeling. I believe most people refer to it as "sweat" and I avoid it at all cost. So here I am sweating and running. Double bad combo.

I'm in a quandary. Three scant feet away from me is a fan. But it's not on. I know (from past experience) that if I stop my treadmill to go turn on the fan all my settings, speeds, and work will be deleted from the treadmill console (if I don't restart in less than .037 seconds from the time when I paused).

But I'm a college graduate. I came up with a solution.

I jump, agilely, off the treadmill, leaving it running. I dash over the to fan, turn it on "high" and dash back to my treadmill- still jammin' (all the while) to my dear friend, Mr. Tomlin.

Cocky, sure of my self, confident that I solved the problem, and sure that I was lookin' good despite the sweat (this delusion was helped by the fact I was younger than everyone else in the workout room by about 37 years), I walk to the back of the treadmill, and step on.

BANG!

I was down so fast, I didn't even know what had happened. Turns out, when you're focused on turning on the fan, to reduce sweat, while at the same time checking to make sure your sweat band is attractively positioned, all the while rockin' out to "How Great Is Our God" you forget that you left the treadmill running. And when you think it's off, and you try to get back on, it causes a serious problem.

My problem manifested itself in me, face planting half-on/half-off the treadmill, while every hair in my legs (no, I had not shaved yet), was ripped out by a relentless rubber belt.

When I finally righted myself and surveyed the damage, I found myself to be the proud possessor of two very swollen, purple knees, multiple rubber tread marks up and down my legs, (the kind Wiley Coyote got when assaulted by the Road Runner) and bruised palms. I was also in possession of a great deal of humility.

Meekly, I climbed back on my treadmill and completed my run.

Lessons learned? You hurt all over the day after a treadmill accident. Don't even bother checking your sweat band- no one looks good in them. Distracting music can be fatal to the condition of your knees. And I am probably the only person who can make treadmill running as dangerous as mountain biking...

1 comment:

Dana said...

Oh you poor thing! I hope you are healing up okay...