Monday, June 2, 2008

New batch of 2nd graders: "Annabelle"

Her name is (for the sake of privacy) has been changed to "Annabelle". Her real name is more girly and ruffly than "Annabelle", if you can imagine that, but I've decided to give her a pseudonym in case her posterity should come across this entry...

I teach second grade Sunday school. This past Sunday I got a new class. Excitement was rampant. Everyone was a little nervous and excited about the new situation. (Me probably more so than the kids...)

Everyone is sitting quietly in their chairs (they're generally so scared of me the first few weeks that they behave- but this quickly changes...), everyone but my dear friend "Annabelle." She is standing in the back of the room. There are only two empty desks in the entire room and she's staring at them both. I've told everyone to sit down and become quiet several times already. Finally, I make a direct comment to her...

"Annabelle, please sit down."
She looks intensely perplexed and states,"I can't."
I look intensely quizzical and ask,"Why not?"
She answers,"I can't choose which desk to sit at..."

The desks are the same height. Same color. Located side-by-side. There is not a single thing to differentiate between the two except for the fact that desk number 1 is a foot further to the left than desk 2. They are identical- totally, completely, without a doubt. Identical.

"Well, why don't you just go ahead and pick one. Sit down." I say (with complete ignorance as to who I'm talking to).
"I can't! I just can't make a decision! It's such a hard choice!" And her forehead wrinkles up as she lifts her hands in a gesture of hopelessness.
"Go ahead. I don't think it matters. Just pick the one you like best." (I have now started talking in my fake-chipper-teacher voice that I whip out when verging on laughter and frustration.)
"No. I can't. I like them both. I have no idea where to sit. This is a very hard decision." And she stands there, confused, refusing to pick a desk.

I turn to the rest of the class.
"Okay everyone, this is desk number one, and that one is desk number two. How many of you think Annabelle should sit in desk number one- raise your hands" Three people raise their hands. "All right, how many of you think Annabelle should sit in desk number two?" Twelve people raise their hands. (The other 17 children sit there wondering what's going on, and forget to vote...) "Okay, Annabelle, the class thinks you should sit in desk number two. Sit down in desk number two."

The look of consternation lifts from her face. She smiles, and acquiesces to the class's decision on "the best desk" and sits in desk number 2 for the rest of Sunday School. (Except for the multiple times she got up and came to my desk to correct me, or tell me something entirely unrelated to what was currently going on.)

What with dear "Annabelle", Harrison who wears argyle and has a comb-over, and Trista who refuses to stay in her seat for longer than 3.2 seconds, (and these are only 3 of my 35 very unique 2nd grade students) I think this year will be rather interesting...

3 comments:

The Goodman's said...

I will pray for you. Having just helped with that class when they were first graders I know what you are going through. However, I am not sure I can figure out who Annabelle is.

Anonymous said...

Wow! And I thought I had it bad with 23 kids in my 2nd-3rd grade Sunday School class! We'll have to get together to swap stories later. :)

Anonymous said...

As I had the hand off - without a helper - during the 2nd hour...I already can assume I know exactly whom you are speaking of in the class. An interesting year indeed!! :)