Friday, May 9, 2008

Epiphany of the Week: Never Talk to your Budget

I, as a general rule, am very fond of fruit. However, it came to my attention (sometime in February) that my budget didn't like how much I was spending on very expensive, small, often bad-tasting replicas of my summertime favorites. So the budget and I had a chit-chat...

Budget: Courtney, you know as well as I do that a teacher's aid doesn't make that much money.
Me: Yes... I know. *sigh*
Budget: You also know that said teacher's aid has to pay electric, gas, and general expenses.
Me: Yes...
Budget: Said teacher's aid had also probably be saving money for next year and graduate school.
Me: Why are you calling me "said teacher's aid"?
Budget: I thought it would make me sound more official.
Me: You're not really that official... you're more just a general guideline.
Budget: I know that! Sheesh. You don't think I'm frustrated at how lightly you treat me?
Me: I'm sorry... I try, I really do.
Budget: Try harder. I'm starting to feel undervalued.
Me: Well, truth be told... I am a little angry with you.
Budget: What!?! Me? Why?
Me: We need to talk about the amount you've allotted to clothing and new shoes.
Budget: Nope. It's set. It's fixed- nonnegotiable. It's practical.
Me: Erg! I hate practical...
Budget: But it's good for you.
Me: I know...
Budget: And I'm good for you.
Me: I know...
Budget: So let's talk about how much you're spending on bad fruit...

The long and short of it is, my budget and I decided that frozen fruit would have to satisfy me until I could obtain the "real thing" in its season.

All that to say:

Strawberries are on sale at Meijer!

No comments: