Monday, August 30, 2010

There is so little I'm qualified to write on... Shall we whip out singleness again?

Hello, dear reader! Did you know that I'm single? Don't snigger behind your hand. I know that the "plight of singleness" is this blog's bread and butter, and although I try to stray to more edifying topics, the fact is: people (judging from the volume of comments) seem to like reading my "relationship posts" more than any other type of post.

I'm thinking of becoming the new Ann Landers.

Singleness has been the primary topic of the past three days. (Weddings, it turns out, will do that to you.) I and several of my grad school girl friends, drove to Indianapolis to ooh, ahh, and dance the night away at a dear friend's wedding. (And yes, my eyes held sparkly tears as I watched her walk towards her groom.) My new roomie moved in the night I got back, and (both of us being newly launched career girls) we discussed the pros and cons of our single condition. I'm also reading "This Momentary Marriage" with another friend, and we discussed it over curried chicken tonight at dinner. (My little house still smells of curry. Ick.)

All that to say, I think I've had the same conversation about six times in the past three days. I think if men knew how often we talked about them (both specifically and as a general whole), they would be... intimidated.



If, in Jane Austen's day, "it was a truth universally acknowledged that a single man, in possession of a large fortune must be in want of a wife," then today's universally acknowledged truth is that "a single girl, in possession of a fabulous career, must be in want of a husband."

The general consensus among my girlfriends? We all want to be married.

But after the first torrent of girlish frustration (smattered with jokes of looking for a man at a gun and knife show... which they whip out because they know the very thought gives me terrified goosebumps), something else (because my friends are delightful, vibrant ladies) always surfaces:

"Well, what am I going to do with the time I have now?"

Yes. We are single. But our very productive, thrifty souls shake their heads at a flagrant waste of these years. I am proud to know such friends. Ladies who ask, "What will I do with the freedom my singleness provides? Who can I serve? What should I be doing now, that in the future, a family will keep me from doing?"

We've discussed travels to orphans in Africa, philanthropic pursuits, hospitality, mentoring, and personal growth. I'm delighted to be surrounded by a myriad of women who desperately want to be wives and mothers, but who are aware of the delights, privileges, and unique responsibilities of singleness.

These are not days to be wasted, or time to be marked off as you scour the horizon for some distant (perhaps fictional) mate. These are delightful times filled with adventure and freedom that may never be found again.

Life does not start when you get married. Happiness is not automatic, troubles do not lessen, and character flaws do not evaporate. Marriage is not the magic pill to your dream life.

What are you doing now, with your singleness to guarantee that married or not, you are a better, more selfless individual when you stand before Christ? I ask myself this same question. Registering for a Kitchen Aide mixer will not make me complete. But pulling out my nifty hand-held mixer and whipping up a dinner for a new family or lonely college student- ah, that might actually produce eternal fruit.

As the adage goes: “Remember that a successful marriage depends on two things: (1) finding the right person and (2) being the right person."

You can't control one, but you can control the other.

Stop looking and start being.

3 comments:

blind irish pirate said...

Because, you know, all forms of freedom and service and personal growth ends the day that you become married.

COURTNEY said...

I'm glad that you recognize that. *wink*

How about this... "You are less able to use drastic measure (i.e. radically alter schedule, lifestyle, location, etc.) spontaneously in your growth because of its effect on the one you live with."

We're highlighting spontaneity and the lack of conversation and agreement to outline and enact plans.

Plus, your first obligation (after obeying Christ) is to your husband. As a single, I have no such obligation.

blind irish pirate said...

I understand why you wrote what you did, and I can't say that I disagree. Now that I'm working as a team, I can't just make radical decisions like I used to. I suppose what really frustrates me about "single conversations" is this assumed idea that wives (and mothers!) are unable to "perform anything outside of 'wifely' duties." Whatever "wifely" duties are, I'd love to know, as I'm sure I don't do them. The assumed culprit of being unable to be anything other than a wife/mother is time itself; as in, there is "no time to be anything other than a wife."

Why? Is it this sudden lack of identity that women feel? That should never happen. I like how you encourage personal growth before marriage (for everyone), because it gives someone substantiality, sustainability. Also, how marriage is not an end game, a happy ending, a checkmate in the game of life. Marriage is hard, yo. But it's not impossible and it surely shouldn't take up someone's time to be anything other than a wife.

That FLOORS me. And it is almost insulting to think that people would assume that I have no other duty in life than to obey my husband. Obey, much like submission, is one of those words that I'm not sure that you can redefine without a huge reclaiming movement, just because they've been so abused and mistreated in the past.

Perhaps I just need to waste my own space on this topic.