Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Because of the memories... not "In Memory of"

On August 9th, 2010, my darling grandma went home.




From the first day I can remember, through the last day I knew her, my grandmother struggled to breathe, struggled to move, struggled to live. But she never struggled in loving her big, loud, "Americana" family. Never in her struggled did she forget Christmas presents for all, cheese balls and home-made noodles at each family get-together. She never let the struggle eclipse her kind words and gentle presence. She was always unconditionally proud of her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.

My grandmother doesn't fit in the "famous" people of our time. She lived quietly, she raised her four boys alone, she worked, she loved, she died. But the consistent grace and love which accompanied each of these actions is more amazing because of the lack of accolades. Glorifying God and loving others are her legacy.




I love you, Grandma. I can't wait to see you again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All that reading you have done probably has a lot to do with it, but you have something else, self knowledge, or insight, an honesty. I think understanding human nature comes from understanding oneself, don't you, and then you just extrapolate? But to have self honesty you have to have a degree of humility. Even your powers of observation, seeing into others' hearts and minds, comes from that.


I like the picture of you and grandma. Which one is you?


I'm sorry about your loss.