Thursday, July 8, 2010

"Because I love you...

As an almost (29 days!) speech pathologist, I work with a lot of children whose issues extend beyond their ability to say "s." I never knew I would work on social skills, inter-personal communication, and basic courtesy as a speech pathologist, but it's probably one of my favorite parts of the job.

I have a little client right now who never likes to lose a game. In fact, part of therapy has now become helping him cope with losing. (Which entails me winning, which is okay with me...)

My third week of doing therapy, we played a game in which you could earn power to ruin your teammate's chances of winning. You would slam this little rubber fly down, and they would lose all their points. Well, the little guy I was working with won the chance to slam down the rubber fly.

But he wouldn't pick it up.

He started shaking his head, "No... no... no..."

"It's okay. You can do it. Take away my points! You'll win!"

"No... no... no..."

"Come on! Pick up the fly! Don't you want to take away my points and win?"

"No... because I love you!"

My heart melted into a puddle. This little man, who loves to win, didn't want to take away my points because he loved me. Completely, totally, irrevocably made my day. I'm still smiling, many days later.



(I eventually convinced him that slapping the fly would be a good idea, and he giggled while we slapped the fly together.)

5 comments:

Mizzus G said...

Beautiful post. You must be glowing. Those are the moments you remember for a lifetime.

steve said...

Totally enjoy your writngs.
steve

NJ soo said...

lovely!

Monica said...

Waiting patiently for another post. Happy Graduation this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Woman, you are a writer. A damn good writer, too.

Yes, I know, you can't make your living at that unless you have the kind of luck it takes to win the lottery.

Here's proof that you are a writer. I have been surfing these blogs lately, kind of to, well, you know, I like to write, too, but when I come to a blog that interests me, and I start reading, and when I see the picture over there and it looks like it might be a pretty girl, I click on the picture and look at the profile. But on yours I never clicked, and when I got to the bottom I even clicked on the older posts link. I have never clicked on an older posts link.

So there you have it. Iron clad.

And good luck, too,

Frank