Saturday, April 17, 2010

It's 8:51 on a Saturday night, and I'm home, freshly returned from yet another wedding. I think I average about 10 weddings a year (over the past 4 years), and I could probably marry someone, verbatim, from Pastor Aucoin's script. (But I'm very happy for the new Mr. & Mrs.! I love seeing new families start...)

I'm already in my p.j. pants, and I'm debating the value of a fruit smoothie over frozen pizza.

My life is very tame, very quiet, very void of excitement, and limited in personal interactions. I am so delighted with everything that God has been teaching me-- the quiet filing He's done on my imperfect character over these past few months. I see a (slightly) more gracious, peaceful, dependent person emerge from His tutelage.

But I'm lonely.

I can see everything God is doing. I turn to Him faster, I delight in His care, and right now I'm grieving over my discontent. How cruel, to say to a God who has lavished abundant love, grace, and joy on my life: "You're not enough." My heart rends at the lack of love I'm showing to my Father, and I pray, over, and over: "Please... I want you to be enough. Satisfy me with you. Be the only delight of my heart."

And yet my flesh fights back, and godly desires constantly war with deceitful selfishness. I know that my desire to be a wife and mother is a good thing. These are roles God designed specifically for women. He wants me to desire them. He created me to desire them.

But I am never to prize these roles more than bringing glory to my Savior. Should my lack of fulfillment in these areas of my life lead me to bitterness, anger, self-pity, and ungratefulness, then I know my desires are no longer God given: they are now mangled atrocities my sinful flesh has twisted and warped.

So, I'm lonely. And constantly battling my desires.

I want to be married. And I want God to be enough.

I don't want to be lonely. And I want to be okay with being alone.

I want to cultivate admiration and skills for the roles of wife and mother. And I want to be satisfied and joyful, should they never come about.

Such a delicate tight-rope!

I delight greatly in the LORD;
my soul rejoices in my God.
For he has clothed me with garments of salvation
and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness,
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the soil makes the sprout come up
and a garden causes seeds to grow,
so the Sovereign LORD will make righteousness and praise
spring up before all nations.

(Isaiah 69:10,11)

2 comments:

Rae/J said...

Battling those same thoughts myself, Courtney! I want God to be my only Joy and I want Him to be enough, but I always want to have someone by me, in person, to run to. Someone to care for me so deeply here. The skit reminded me today that Christ is always there pleading for me to run to Him. HE'S ALWAYS THERE!! How many people in my life can I say have always been there? The hard part is to discipline myself in making it a habit to run to HIM first, for everything!! Love you girlie :) (and i will inform you beforehand when I work in the nursery so we can have our sermon date!)

sadblueraine said...

Oh Courtney, you write so clearly the tight-rope that we walk. Wanting something that would be good in its right time, but apparently now isn't the right time. Tired of wanting anything but God, and tired of caring, but realizing that you still do.