Friday, April 17, 2009

Speech Pathology Compliment **helps me keep going!**



This woman, Lorraine Ramig, has developed one of the THE most comprehensive therapy programs for people with Parkinson's Disease called the "Lee Silverman Voice Treatment." It has been so incredibly successful that neurologists, physical therapists, and other researchers are spending their careers finding ways to extend her amazing therapy to other venues of deficit (motor problems, children with cerebral palsy, etc.).

She is dynamite. She came and spoke to our class- she was poised, articulate, and incredibly dynamic. She did an incredible job showing us not only research but also therapy. Her focus was on the people she was helping- not just the research. This balanced focus was amazingly refreshing. In our field, speech therapists divide into two camps- research or therapy. If you enjoy both, you are forced to choose one or the other. But she created her own category.

Tonight Lorraine Ramig is being honored as Purdue University College of Liberal Art's Distinguished Alumni of 2009.

And today, in class, after she spoke to us, one of my classmates turned around and said,

"Is it just me guys, or the minute she started speaking did you think, "Oh-my-word- that's Courtney."?"

THEY THOUGHT I WAS LIKE DR. RAMIG! What a compliment.

Hmm, I wonder what my therapy program will be... ;)

No comments: