Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Smitten in Finals

So, I'm in the library. (Yay, open 24 hours!) And I'm trying to be good, really I am. I'm going over the sentence production disorders again and trying to remember why I care that aphasic patients usually fail in the closed-class vocabulary recall, while at the same time showing varying degrees and forms of agrammatism, but it's really hard to focus with these people next to me.

They're sitting just in my peripheral vision. It's hard to ignore them...

The guy is clearly an engineer- he has a massive structures' book sitting open and useless in front of him. I haven't seen him look at his open binder of notes or this book once in the entire 3 hours he's been here, regardless of the fact that he supposedly has a final tomorrow.

The reason for this neglect is sitting right across the table from him.

She's obviously a liberal-artsy type. She has no books with her, except for a big one of colored art prints. She's talked about her studio classes and "horribly picky art-history prof" several times (ear-buds do not block out all conversation). She has failed to open her book (but let's face it, she probably doesn't need to...). (Side note: she talks about Harry Potter shamelessly. Are the children who were raised on this epic already coming to college? They're babies! What are they doing out of Jr. High? Shoot. She WAS in Jr. High when those books were released, actually, probably grade school. I feel old...)

Instead of studying, they're wrapped in deep conversation concerning high school hilarity, Christmas traditions, and the injustice of various professors. (Like either one really cares about the other's academic interests...)

As I plow fruitlessly though another pile of notes, I want to lean over and say,

"Honey, let him study or else you're not going to want to date him and his unemployable GPA."

And please stop talking so that the elusive bullet points of agrammatism will solidify in my recalcitrant memory...

No comments: