Sunday, September 16, 2007

Blackberry Tea and Candles

It's the best feeling in the world.

I'm curled up in my comfy "lounge" pants, wearing my brother's sweatshirt. My hair is piled up on my head and I'm sipping blackberry herbal tea my father bought me. I just got off the phone with my mom and the little sis said, "ay blue!" which is her way of saying "I love you!"

My roomie's studying. My laundry's done. My room is impeccable and I'm ready for the next week. I have a mango apricot candle burning and piano music playing faintly in the background.

I'm describing externals in hopes that they will lead to a more accurate representation of my heart. I spend so much of my time running. So much time checking off a to-do list. My life is wonderful, but my life is full. So often I live in frantic activity, and tonight, as I sit, curled Indian-style on my bedroom floor I'm aware of an emotion that I haven't felt in months.

Peace.

God is so good. He graciously lavishes blessing after blessing. It reminds me of a verse I read this morning...

".... for He is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under His care." (Ps. 95)

So often I look at God's work in my life as occurring only when I'm struggling or going through a trial. What a shallow view of my God's plan! And how ungrateful...

Tonight God is teaching His love. Tonight He's showing His rest. Tonight He's lavishing blessing. Some may attribute my peace to the blackberry tea, or my family, my candles, or my comfort and ease. Look further- there's a God who gave me all that. For He is good. And He is love.

"Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord...let us come before Him with thanksgiving..." (Ps. 95)

No comments: