Monday, June 21, 2010

Why I Want All Boys

Vacation Bible School is my favorite. Although I dislike Indiana's nasty humidity, and am not convinced that craft time is entertaining, I love children. This year I am a Kindergarten leader of the "lime green" group. We promise to be a very entertaining bunch, and I believe this is due to the fact that we are predominantly male. Tonight served to solidify my desire for all boys (should I ever be a "mommy").

At snack time one of these little boys (a future all-American linebacker, I'm guessing), wiggles around, looks up at me, and says,

"Miss Courtney! You're my girlfriend."

I eyed him skeptically. "No, Bryce, I'm not. You have to ask me, and I have to say, 'yes.'"

His brow furrowed at this unexpected complication. "Hmm... well, then. I guess I'll just have to marry you."

I shook my head soberly, "Well... I'm sorry Bryce. You're not done with school. When you're done with college, call me up."

"Yeah!" piped Bryce's neighbor, "My mom said that you shouldn't get married until you're done with college. That's when she got married. Before that, it's not a good idea. That's what my mom says."

Bryce nodded thoughtfully, "Yes, that's a good idea, but you see, I'm not going to college. I'm going to Batman school."

Both I and his neighbor produced exclamations of surprise and interest.

"Well, not really Batman school... Actually, I'm going to learn how to be a Goblin and chop people up with a helicopter." Concerned, I asked,

"Oh my! Bryce... does this mean you're going to be a bad man?"

"Oh yes. Yes, Miss Courtney. I will be a very bad man."

I shook my head sorrowfully, "Then I'm afraid I can't marry you, Bryce. I can't marry a bad man."

Bryce exhaled in frustration. He furrowed his brow, looked me up and down, and said, "Oh, fine. I'll be a good man for you, Miss Courtney."

"Thank you, Bryce."

"And now you will kiss me."

"Call me when you're 23, Bryce. Please finish your nachos."

3 comments:

bethoven said...

That. Is. Hilarious.

Shill said...

OH MY Flippin' Goodness!!! HOW CUTE!!!!!!

Monica said...

Precious! Save this for when he gets married some day. It will have to be used creatively!